EXETER IN BLOOM: Judging Tour Itinerary – – MONDAY 9 JULY 2018
Section (judging criteria)
|Judges arrive at Reed Hall Car Park – met by CF/PC and walk to Reed Hall main entrance.
Welcome by Lord Mayor, Cllr Rob Hannaford, and his Consort, Cllr Olwen Foggin, Ian Park, Director of University Grounds, & Fran Brandi – sponsor & host
|Introductions, refreshments and short presentation about the Judging Route.
University of Exeter, Streatham Campus: Tour of Jubilee Garden, Arboretum, formal gardens, Ponds as a small sample of this major ‘green’ site
Drive to Devonshire Place Orchard Regeneration Project noting Millenium Woods in Hoopern Valley
Devonshire Place Orchard: researched and restored by volunteers since 2012 IYN
|A1, 2, 4&5
B1 (Hoopern Valley), B2&B3 (Jubilee Int’lGarden)
A1,2,3 & A5
Iain Park and David Evans (University Grounds Dept)
Susie Bower & Blanche Croydon (Volunteers)
|Drive to Duryard Valley Park viewing point
Duryard Valley – A designated County Wildlife Site (one of 6 valley parks)
B1, 2 & 3
|Chris Moulton (City Council Ranger)|
|Drive to Stoke Valley Infants & Nursery School via Mincinglake Valley Park
Stoke Valley School
|A1,2 & 3
B1 & 2
C2 & 4
Sarah Mackay (Head Teacher)
|Exeter Wild City– drive Prince Charles Road to see roadside and roundabout wildflowers
Note City Council allotment site en route (one of 26 sites, 1, 500 plots) – drive to:
The Swift Tour – city centre wildlife
Arrive Exeter High Street: Walk
‘InExeter’ – The Exeter BID– Walk High Street, floral baskets, art in the landscape, cleansing & events
Walk to Princesshay via Roman Walk to
Princesshay Roof Top Garden & Bees supplying honey and herbs to Chandos Deli below
(Comfort Break, Catherine Square)
|A1, 2 & 5
B1 & 2
A1, 2 & 4
B2, 3 & 4
B1 & 2
C4 & 5
|Paul Faulkner (Head of Parks & Green Spaces) & Stephen Hussey Devon Wildlife Trust
Ann Hunter, CEO InExeter
|Gandy Street via High Street– business floral baskets, historic street, leading to Rougemont Gardens via rear of RAMM
Rougemont Gardens & Northernhay Gardens*– walk through historic city centre gardens and venues for major events. Celebration of Veitch through planting. Plus cornus collection
Drive from Queen Street entrance to Northernhay on to Russell Terrace & Little Silver
B3, 4 & 5
|Anne Hunter, Paul Faulkner
|Russell Terrace residential gardens & Little Silver Green for informal walk through city centre residential area with small gardens and a pocket park planted by residents
From Queens Terrace; Drive to Elm Grove Road
Bury Meadow Park & the Veitch Lamp Post Trail – city centre park also serving 5,000 students in adjacent college. Upgrades and maintenance of main border done by volunteers.
A3 & 5
B1 & 4
C1, 2, 3 & 4
B3 & 5
C1,2,3,4 & 5
|Christine Fraser (Chair, St David’s Neighbourhood P’ship)
Lynn Hartmann, Chair Bury Meadow Res Assn
|Drive to The Imperial Pub, New North Road noting Blue Plaques
The Imperial Pub – Meet Mr William Lucombe & his Grand-daughter, Ann Pince
|Host: Craig, Deputy Manager|
|4.00pm||Judging Ends||Lunch generously sponsored by The Imperial (Weatherspoon)|
* ‘The Trench’ – an installation for the centenary of WW1. This is a follow up to ‘The Shrouds of the Somme’: The major installation of 19, 240 Shroud figurines return to Northernhay Gardens in Exeter in 2016. At the time of the judges visit ‘Trench’ will be in the process of being dismantled prior to being set up in London.
Access to Northernhay will therefore be restricted.
Exeter in Bloom 2018
- The theme for Exeter in Bloom 2018 is ‘How Trees & the Countryside run through the City’.
- There is one ‘It’s Your Neighbourhood’ entry we ask the judges to assess – as part of the Tour – Devonshire Place Orchard Regeneration Project
- At lunch there will be members of Exeter in Bloom volunteers from across the City who will be able to answer any questions or talk about work which there has not been time to show on the tour.
- Press arrangements will be at The Imperial at the end of the Judging Tour
- The Lord Mayor and his Consort have kindly agreed to accompany the Judging Party for the full tour.
- Transport for the Judging Tour is provided by Apple Taxis and the driver is Max.